Monday, May 9, 2016

Building a website

The thought of making a website was a little deceiving. I remember my brother while he attended school for graphic design, he would show me all these codes involved in making websites. It was very intimidating. I like the idea of having a website for myself though. It is a great way to professionally promote myself to employers. I do not have any Social Medias such as Facebook, Twitters, LinkedIn, etc. to promote myself to potential future employers. As a communication major, I am aware of the important role Social Media plays a part of in society. However, I found having Social Media has more negative impacts than positive ones to me as an individual. So after having Facebook and before that Myspace, I decided to disconnect myself from having any Social Media to better myself. It has been three years and I do not miss it. Nevertheless, as a communication major, I fear to will fall behind in a world that put great emphasis on the digital world and lifestyle. I believe this website may help me stay more up to date on expectations of a communication major. I can use this website to promote myself and keep potential employers knowledgeable of previous work of mine and an idea of who I am via this website created in class. I may continue to use blogger after this class. Therefore I can keep blogger connected to the website.

While designing my website, I wanted to give it a vintage style. I have always loved the vintage look and sense I have somewhat old school values in a very rapidly changing world, I believe it somewhat promotes the kind of person I am. Therefore, I choose a vintage photographic for the header. The picture gives a sense of nature and traveling which I believe can tell a lot about a person. I am a very outdoor active person. I love being outside. Biking, hiking, and kayaking are a big part of my life and hobbies. I love to travel and see news things and meet new people. I like to believe the photograph suggests that idea.

The portfolio items that I choose to use in the website reflect a lot of my subjects of interests. I chose a research paper about the Social Media, its impacts, positive effects, negative effects, and its changes to society as a whole. I also choose a paper I wrote about children having cellphones at a young age and also the effects of sex on television to young viewers. For a visual piece, I choose the post card project. The post card definitely reflects my style which I find important in promoting myself.


The software I found to be not as confusing as I would assume. Once I understand how the coding worked I think I would really enjoy creating website because I have a very creative sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment